This dinner is a real treat. It’s also a great vegetarian mid-week meal option; the halloumi is a wonderful meat alternative as it has a similar meaty texture and is also very filling.
The addition of the fried egg is very much needed – it the creaminess of the yolk works well with the crispy halloumi and the sweetness of the fries (omg I could eat a mountain of these!)
It’s also a really quick meal – don’t let the whole breading process put you off; it takes less than 5 minutes to do prepare.
I would say the whole dinner takes about 40 mins with preparation included.
You’ll also see in the picture that I clearly couldn’t help myself, as I have taken a bite out of one of the halloumi slices!
3 large eggs
A small bowlful of plain flour
50g of panko breadcrumns
1 block of halloumi
2 sweet potatoes
Olive oil for drizzling
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees. Cut the potatoes into wedges. Place in a baking trap, drizzle with oil and roast for 25 minutes, turning every so often.
2. Beat 1 egg and pour into a bowl. Pour the breadcrumbs also into a bowl.
3. Slice your halloumi into thick slices (you should get about 7).
4. Dip the halloumi slices into the flour, then the egg and then the breadcrumbs, ensuring to coat evenly.
5. When the fries have about 5 minutes left, heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan and fry the halloumi slices for about 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Serve on the plates.
6 In the last minute, in the same pan, fry the 2 eggs and serve next to the halloumi, along with the fries. Serve and enjoy!